Looking for something to do today? This morning from 10am to 2pm, come out to Deanwood Rec center in DC and bring the whole family for fun, games and activities. It’s FREE! Daddyscool will be at the Fit Fathers table, come by and say hello.
The District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) and the DC Head Start State Collaboration Office (DC- HSSCO), in partnership with Fit Kids-DC, are collaborating to celebrate First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! initiative by hosting the first annual Let’s Move! DC – Children and Families Health Expo on Saturday, October 19 from 10:00 a.m – 2:00 p.m. at the Deanwood Recreation Center, just across the street from the Deanwood Metro exit.
Come join the party for a day of:
• Music and Entertainment
• Prizes and Giveaways!
• Local farmer markets showcasing DC’s rich variety of food
• Health and fitness exhibits/activity station
• Free sports classes for the kids!
• Come work out the Washington Green Hawks, DC’s professional entertainment basketball team!
• MLS DC United will be there testing players soccer skills, giving away prizes, and raffling off game tickets!!
• NFL Play 60, US Tennis Association, and The President’s Challenge Program will all be there!
• Special appearance by Celebrity Chef Lauren Von Der Pool, personal Chef to Venus and Serena Williams. Giving away signed copies of her book “Eat Yourself Sexy!”
• Celebrating Champions for Children Awardees
• Children and parents can play in the Fit Kids-DC and Ruckus obstacle courses, fun zones, face painting, Zumba dancing, and much more!
Let’s Move! is leading a nationwide effort to combat childhood obesity and encourage healthy lifestyle choices by empowering families to put their children on the path to a healthy future during their earliest months and years. The initiative aims to inspire children to eat healthy foods and have at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day, whether before, during, or after school. In addition, the DC public school system has become the first U.S. district to fully commit to the Let’s Move! Active Schools program. All 111 DC public schools have agreed to participate in the program.
For more information, visit http://1.usa.gov/18tbzDT.